I’ve recently decided to teach a class at my church through our Community Connection groups on blogging. I’ve been blogging since 2009 and much has changed since I’ve started.
I do not consider myself an expert but I do like to think I kind of know what I’m doing. Ok, good enough to teach a beginner how to get started. Like anything else I do, wanting to make sure I’m teaching correctly, I took to the internet (aka Pinterest) to see what other bloggers are saying.
Can I just say my mind is on overdrive and I’m a little overwhelmed with information? Both old and new. I also have to say that most of these post on Pinterest all start with what I would say should not come first but second.
Most of the post I found all start with the creative aspect of a blog. Which is extremely important. I mean, you can’t have a blog without creating one right?
However, this is not what I (from personal experience) think you should so FIRST. I believe (in order to have a successful) blog there are just a few things you should do first.
- Figure out WHY you want to blog– There are many reasons why you might want to start a blog. To help figure out your WHY check out my blog post on (what’s your
why) and come back for number 2.
- Decide what you want to blog about– The very first thing I would suggest is to decide what you want to blog about. You can find more ideas HERE.
- Learn about your target audience. Who are they? Do you have something to offer them? To help you figure out your audience I’ve put together a post just for that. As well as why it’s good to know your audience.
- Pick the perfect blog name for you. There are many ways to do this, from just using your name to finding that special name specific to your niche.
- Create a business plan. There are many ways to do this. Depending on what type of blog you have it is always best to create a plan before you go any further. Check out my post on creating a business plan for your blog.
Now that you have the first 5 steps down you are almost ready to the creation part of your blog. But first I suggest checking out Creating your brand and theme.
You’re almost there. Keep your head up. You can (like all the Pinterest post say) create a blog in 15 min. However, like I said before. I truly believe that if you put a little more time and effort into your blog before you start you will have a more successful blog.